Wednesday, December 31, 2008

My Sister's Keeper


Although Jodi Picoult is the author of over 15 books and I've seen her name around the likes of Barnes & Noble and Target bookshelves, I'd never given her a chance until My Sister's Keeper. I was surprised at how quickly it drew me in and how layered the story ended up becoming. Each chapter is told by the perspective of a different character. The book begins with Anna who was conceived and born to be a genetic match for her older sister, Kate. Kate was diagnosed at age 3 with a rare form of leukemia. At age 13 Anna decides that she is done being a donor for Kate and seeks out a lawyer to be medically emancipated from her parents. The side story of her lawyer, Campbell, and guardian ad litem, Julia, is as interesting as the main story of Anna and her family. I recommend this book, but if you're a sister, or a parent, or, maybe just a human being....watch out because you may need some kleenex. I didn't, of course. My allergies are just getting to me a little early this year :)

No comments: