Sunday, January 4, 2009

Crime and Punishment


If you want to dip into Russian literature (and be able to say you've read some Dostoyevsky) but not be too committed, then this is a good start. Crime and Punishment is about Raskolnikov, a poor student who decides he needs to sell something for money. He ends up commiting a murder and realizes that he can get away with it. A good portion of the book is Raskolnikov talking to himself as he becomes paranoid and suffers from some delusions. Honestly, this is a pretty good place to read quickly. I found myself doing a little skimming and saying to myself, "Okay, he's going crazy, he's going crazy...ah, here's some more plot." During the state of paranoia he befriends a prostitute who helps keep him sane. I read a brief version of Dostoyevsky's bio after reading this book and it helped put the book into perspective. Dostoyevsky led a "wild" young adult life, which included some incarceration. He became a Christian, which is evident in the works that I have read, and underlines the redeeming nature of Crime and Punishment. I won't write anymore for fear of ruining it for anyone.

No comments: