Friday, September 19, 2008

The Red Tent


Anita Diamant's fictionalization of what may have happend to Dinah, the only daughter of Jacob and Leah from the Old Testament. It begins with the story of her mothers--the four women Jacob married--and continues on to Dinah's own life within the tribe of Jacob and beyond. I enjoyed the description of life in tents in Canaan and then in Egyptian houses. Diamant did a fantastic job researching and portraying the cultures of the time. I love reading about a place and a time that I will never see. The only part that irritated me was the overly dramatic view of womanhood being something to worship. As a feminist I am delighted to read about a world of women not pictured in a familiar story, but....I am not really into celebrating my period every month--or those of other women. Call it Westernized puritanism, but I don't want to hear about it. Other than that, I recommend this book as a well told story set in a beautiful place.

No comments: