Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time



I work with kids with disabilities, and several with autism currently, so I should really like this book, right? I mean, it was talked up by quite of few of my speech pathology colleagues and an excerpt was even read at a workshop I attended. Unfortunately, it was disappointing. The story was a little dull and the description of Christopher's autistic characteristics was at times too textbook and other times too unrealistic. If you want to read a good book that deals with a main character with autism then read Banishing Verona by Margot Livesey. The fact that the protagonist, Zeke, has autism or Asperger's is gradually made known and not the central focus of his character development. Zeke is a painter and has an unexpected meeting with Verona in a house he is working in. They end up falling for each other and then Verona disappears. It wasn't the best book I've ever read and it could have been shorter (one ends up feeling dragged around with the characters), but it is definetely a better depiction of autism spectrum disorder to the public.

No comments: