Monday, December 30, 2013

The White Tiger

As Balram begins to tell his story of growing up, surviving and then thriving (this is debatable) in India I wasn't sure I wanted to hear another Slumdog Millionaire story.  I kept reading because the author, Aravind Adiga, threw me a bone, so to speak and then I was hooked.  Balram grew up in the Darkness of India as a smart kid who wormed his way into a job as a driver for a wealthy family.  The bulk of the book is taken up as Balram describes his life and that of his master.  Not his boss, not his employer, his master.  As Adiga describes the injustices in India I wanted to point my finger at India and get very self-righteous about their caste system.  However, my head was also swimming with the questions that I ponder constantly.  How do we keep people in their place here in the U.S.?  How are our social classes actually divided?  Do people from one class actually want to move up to the next class, or do they just want some of the benefits of that class?  The White Tiger is Adiga's first novel and I look forward to reading more from him, as soon as I can emotionally prepare for it.

No comments: