Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Michael Chabon on Genre

I was recently give a print-out of an interview with author Michael Chabon. It was from the website io9.com and the interview is called "Geeking Out About Genres With Michael Chabon." (I would add a link to this blog, but I'm not that technologically sophisticated.) When asked about authors being pigeonholed into certain genres, particularly science fiction and fantasy, and whether or not it's just a marketing issue, Michael responded with this:

I think, in the end, it is largely a marketing issue. Personally I would prefer to see bookstores shelve all fiction together regardless of genre. Or maybe just have two sections, "Good Stuff" and "Crap." Into Crap we will consign all novels regardless of genre or reputation that trade in cliche' and dead language. If I ever own a bookstore I will do it that way. Only I will just leave out the Crap section.

My appreciation for him grows and grows.

No comments: