Monday, August 11, 2008

The Host


I began this book out of a feeling of obligation because a sweet friend of mine loaned it to me. I ended the book with total gratitude to my friend. I don't read a lot of science fiction, but I enjoy the genre from time to time. The Host isn't scifi in that it has lengthy descriptions of space ships and battles, but it is about a quiet and secretive alien invasion of earth very much like "The Invasion of the Body Snatchers". The aliens are using humans as hosts to begin a better world on earth, but they are still trying to track down the remaining humans who are in hiding. The book is pretty easy to read (translation: you won't need a dictionary, a map, or a degree in physics), but is able to bring up philosophical ideas about human nature and choice. I highly recommend this book and am looking forward to reading Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series.

1 comment:

CJ said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I have this one on hold at the library. I bookmarked this page because I see some other books that I'm now interested in reading. Next time I'm between books (which happens to me often -- you know how picky I am), this is where I plan to go for ideas.

Cathy