Monday, June 23, 2008

The Historian


This is truly one of my favorite books. It took Elizabeth Kostova ten years to complete, and it was worth it. This novel is smart, intriguing, and mesmerizing. I keep telling my friends, "It is SO smart! I don't know where to begin telling you about it." It is a long book, but a page-turner that kept me up late many nights. The format is beautiful. The different voices and jumps in time are seamless. The descriptions of the food in Istanbul and Eastern Europe gave me cravings I didn't know I had. The book feels like the kind of mystery that Angels and Demons tried to be but couldn't make (a non-recommendation, by the way). The amounts of creepiness and gore were just enough to confirm I was reading a book about the historical view of Dracula, but not enough to qualify it as a horror novel.

No comments: